Rock Island-Milan School District #41 Equity Statement
In alignment with our Strategic Plan Core Values, RIMSD acknowledges that past practices, policies, and procedures have placed limits on providing access and opportunity for all students. Therefore in an effort to embrace the diversity within our district, RIMSD is committed to working proactively to address racial and cultural biases while actively eliminating institutional structures that lead to a lack of access, opportunity and equity for all. Culturally-responsive practices involve recognizing and incorporating the assets and strengths all students bring into the classroom, and ensuring that learning experiences, from curriculum through assessment, are relevant to all students.
This commitment means that student success will not be predicted nor predetermined by race, class, socioeconomics, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, cognitive/physical ability, diverse language fluency, and religion.
In RIMSD, we are committed to the following:
- RIMSD will provide an equitable, safe, inclusive, and welcoming climate by:
- Ensuring that all buildings provide fair access to facilities, supports and services, resources, culturally relevant teaching practices and services, and that all policies and practices are ADA compliant.
- Hiring diverse staff that is representative of our student population.
- Promoting, hosting events that include all stakeholders and are relevant and of interest to all.
- RIMSD will become a community and regional asset by:
- Committing to overcoming socioeconomic, cultural, and language barriers to provide support for students. (This includes but is not limited to translation services for ALL languages represented in our district, promoting small businesses in the community and seeking them for assistance, and connecting community organizations to students they can serve).
- Responding to the needs of our families, faculty and staff by acknowledging and mitigating systems of inequity.
- Actively encouraging two-way education where the school district educates the community and the community in turn educates the school district.
- RIMSD will promote positive and consistent family and community collaboration by:
- Identifying equitable communication channels that ensure all families, community members, and alumni have a voice and the opportunity to be heard.
- Forming a coalition with community partners to promote equity by providing resources to families, faculty, staff and other community members.
- Seeking out families as essential partners and resources in their students’ education, school planning and decision making.
- Intentionally promoting signage, literature, and languages of our diverse school population.
- RIMSD will embrace and celebrate diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives by:
- Encouraging parents and community members of different racial, cultural and language backgrounds to be respectful of all cultures.
- Working to reverse the belief that assimilation is a goal for our (various ethnic communities) by understanding how personal, cultural and historic aspects of identity contribute to and enrich our school community.
- Providing a safe environment that encourages expression of our differences in ways that invite dialogue and education rather than cause alienation.
- Celebrating the diverse racial and cultural background of our student base by encouraging students and staff to share information about their races and cultures in a variety of platforms.
- RIMSD will support student learning, academic achievement, social and emotional growth and cultural inclusivity by:
- Providing experiences that enforce the development of positive (cultural) identity that is integrated across grade levels and aligned with cognitive development stages.
- Providing personalized, dedicated support at an early stage in the educational process to overcome obstacles to achievement.
- Providing a culturally relevant classroom experience where all students are expected to achieve academically, are exposed to various cultures, and encouraged to develop their sociopolitical consciousness.
- RIMSD will empower staff to teach, lead, and serve by:
- Implementing culturally relevant teaching practices that are free of bias and that reflect the contributions and perspectives of all people to eliminate the perpetuation of disparities in achievement.
- Providing professional development specific to equitable practices so staff can become practitioners and leaders in their buildings.
- Monitoring and adapting our interactions, training, and instruction to address these issues in our evolving RIMSD community.
- Developing policy that will ensure a diverse workforce from various cultural backgrounds.