G Suite for Education
The Rock Island/Milan School District provides each student a G Suite for Education account, a free web-based program for word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and calendar tools. G Suite for Education also includes a password-protected account for school use only.
The following services are available to each student and hosted by Google as part of the Rock Island/Milan School District’s online presence in G Suite for Education.
Google Email-This is an individual email account for school use managed by the Rock Island/Milan School District with restrictions according to grade level.
- Grades K-6 internal access, can only send/receive email from Rock Island school district teachers
- Grades 7-10 internal access, can only send/receive email from Rock Island school district teachers with the acception of curriculum based outside filtered email requests. (ex. H&R Block Budget Challenge)
- Grades 11-12 internal and external access, can send/receive to and from filtered domains. If you do not want your 11th or 12th grade student to participate in external email, please click HERE and complete the online form. A district staff member will follow up with you to verify the request, prior to disabling external email access.
Google Drive - lets you store and share all of your files and folders, including Google Docs, Sheets, and Slide Presentations. You can store and access your files anywhere – on the web, on your phone, or on the go.
Calendar - an individual calendar providing the ability to organize schedules, daily activities, and assignments
*Other services thru G Suite will be introduced to students via teacher use. (ex. Google Classroom, google email, etc)
The goal of this service is to promote educational excellence by providing a resource for collaborating, creating, editing, and communicating between teachers and other students. G Suite for Education runs on an Internet domain owned by the Rock Island School District and is intended for educational use only. For more information about Google Suite for Education and its policies, please view G Suite for Education privacy notice and G Suite common questions.
Guidelines for the responsible use of G Suite for Education:
- Official Email Address: All high school students will be assigned a firstname.lastname@example.org email account. This account will be considered the student's official Rock Island/Milan email address until such time as the student is no longer enrolled with the Rock Island/Milan School District.
- Access Restriction: Access to and use of student email is considered a privilege accorded at the discretion of the Rock Island/Milan School District. The District maintains the right to immediately withdraw the access and use of these services including email when there is reason to believe that violations of law or District policies have occurred. In such cases, the alleged violation will be referred to a building Administrator for further investigation and adjudication.*
- Security: Rock Island/Milan School District cannot and does not guarantee the security of electronic files located on Google systems. Although Google does have a powerful content filter in place for email, the District cannot guarantee that users will not be exposed to unsolicited information.**
- Privacy: The general right of privacy will be extended to the extent possible in the electronic environment.
Rock Island/Milan School District and all electronic users should treat electronically stored information in individuals' files as confidential and private. However, users of student email are strictly prohibited from accessing files and information other than their own.
- Prohibited Conduct: Please refer to the Board Policy 6:235, 7:180, District Procedure 6:235AP1 and 6:235AP2.*
*Guidelines for the responsibility use of G Suite for Education by students falls under the district policies 6:235, Access to Electronic Networks & 6:235-E1, Authorization for Electronic Network Access.
**Technology and Internet use in the Rock Island School District is governed by federal laws including:
The District reserves the right to access any student’s Google account, including current and archival files of user accounts when there is reasonable suspicion that unacceptable use has occurred.