The Rock Island Milan District offers opportunities for resident English Learners to develop high levels of academic attainment in English and to meet the same academic content and student academic achievement standards that all children are expected to attain. The Superintendent or designee shall develop and maintain a program for English Language Learners that will:
- Assist all English Language Learners to achieve English proficiency, facilitate effective communication in English, and encourage their full participation in school activities and programs as well as promote participation by the parents/guardians of English Language Learners.
- Appropriately identify students with limited English proficiency.
- Comply with State law regarding the Transitional Bilingual Educational Program (TBE) or Transitional Program of Instruction (TPI), whichever is applicable.
- Comply with any applicable State and federal requirements for the receipt of grant money for English Language Learners and programs to serve them.
- Determine the appropriate instructional program and environment for English Language Learners.
- Annually assess the English proficiency of the English Language Learners and monitor their progress in order to determine their readiness for a mainstream classroom environment.
- Include English Language Learners, to the extent required by State and federal law, in the District’s student assessment program to measure their achievement in reading/language arts and mathematics.
- Provide information to the parents/guardians of English Language Learners about: (1) the reasons for their child’s identification, (2) their child’s level of English proficiency, (3) the method of instruction to be used, (4) how the program will meet their child’s needs, (5) specific exit requirements of the program, (6) how the program will meet their child’s individualized education program, if applicable, and (7) information on parent/guardian rights. Parents/guardians will be regularly apprised of their child’s progress and involvement will be encouraged.